Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Because He Lives In Me.

Colossians 3 :12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.


Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.



We were chosen to be a holy people because He loves us!  And in turn our response to the love is a few simple words that may not be so easy to live out.  Like one of my children that wants their turn with the harmonica that is "outdoor toy only" they lack patience, gentleness, humility, kindness and mercy. They are more like wild animals finding the last scrap of meat looking at the others weakness instead of being kind. Only when they know they are being watch by someone with authority do they straighten up. 
And sometimes that is exactly where we are.  We have to cultivate ourselves to have the attributes of Christ until it becomes a habit.

Studies show it takes 21 days to make something a habit or break an old habit. So if you need to gain a habit like: Spending time reading the bible, praying, being kind, you will have to mentally decide to do those things for 21 days before you will just do it. And then again you will have recheck yourself.

Just the same if you need to break a habit. Like anger. Negative speaking or a physical habit. It will take that 21 days to do so. And even then you will have to check yourself before you wreck yourself. 



As we train our children in the way they should go through repetition so must we train ourselves where we lack.  And the GREAT AMAZING thing about the Holy Spirit. He prompts us. He whispers to us which way. How to and gives us opportunities for HIS Good Pleasure. To grow us.

Jesus is all that matters.

When we lack in tenderhearted mercy. He shows us where we can show mercy. 
Mercy is giving something freely that can NOT be paid back. Can not be reciprocated. For example. A homeless person. Can't pay you back for the food you provide. Or clothes or shelter. They are completely dependent on mercy. Tenderhearted mercy. 
You were shown tenderhearted mercy. There is NOTHING you can do to pay Jesus back for His sacrifice. We do not DO things to pay Him back. We do things because it is a bi-product of what we have received. Because we want to be like Him.

Christ is all that matters.

Kindness. One of my favorite verses is Ephesian 4: 31-32 

Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.  Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

I repeat it to my children. Reminding them what we are to do. I usually consolidate it for the younger ones and give the full Monty with the bigger ones.  Don't be angry and use mean words. Be kind and nice to each other. Love each other the way Jesus loved you. 

Be Kind. It is ALWAYS possible to be kind. Even when you are upset. Even when you do not want to. Being generous, gentle, compassionate is not a difficult thing to do. ESPECIALLY when Jesus lives in you. Trade your anger for compassion. Trade your harsh words for gentle words. You got cut off in traffic. Bless them.  You did not get that raise. Pray for them. Trade it in for something better. 

Jesus is all that matters.

Humility. This word can be miss used and spoke about often. Humbling yourself does NOT mean you belittle yourself. It is not thinking less of yourself it is thinking of yourself less. Not being self centered but Christ Centered. NOT ME FIRST.  YOU first. Matthew 20:16. It takes pride by the hand and reminds it that It does not need to be concerned with WHO is right but WHAT is right. Humility. Takes our focus off others and their short comings and looking into ourselves. It makes us take our motives and put them where they SHOULD be. My motivation is: for myself or for the things of Jesus?

Christ is all that matters.

Gentleness. Mild mannered. Peaceful. It shows true strength when someone can be gentle in their actions and words. It lets others feel safe and secure allowing them to open up. There is no mistake that this a fruit of the Spirit. So many people now want to force you into things. The strong usually have to learn this. That you can have a strong hand but a gentle touch. Psalm 23 is an excellent example of Gentleness. 


Jesus is all that matters.

And lastly but certainly not the least of these.

Patience. Tolerating something with out anger. It is the ability to not let your attitude change no matter the delay or route of your circumstances.  It is an action. HOW do you act in the hard stuff?  Things will not go as planned, can you accept that? It is enduring well. 
I have been waiting for a new job opportunity. Doing my due diligence but having to be patient. Sometimes I have to check my attitude while waiting. Sometimes my impatience allows doubt that  I am 'good enough' for a better position. And then I remind myself, or HE does, that I must endure well. There is a reason it is not just falling into my lap. Since I began this search my life has dramatically changed. And for the better.  I can see why it has not happened. But how did I do in the meantime? Mostly good. I mostly endured well. My actions do not need forgiveness.  And as I patiently wait for the time to be right and seeing a glimpse of what is coming I prepare myself. I am thankful that patience is a virtue I learned long ago. But not everyone has. So if you struggle with patience I pray for you do endure well.

Jesus Christ is all that matters. When we live each day with this verse in mind we not only live FREE, we live each day putting away the old self and putting on the new self. Absorbing Jesus and squeezing His character onto those in our lives.

Be Blessed. You are loved. Jesus said Love.



Because HE LIVES






No comments:

Spiritual Correlation in every day living

I remember what my mom told me. When you have to clean your room and it is a total disaster. Start in the corner and work your way out. ...